Friday, January 29, 2010

Good Times, Bad Times....


(reposted due to a problem with the original)

At the moment I am sitting in the Portland Airport waiting for my connecting flight to Eugene. This has been the worst week+ of my life; my daughter, Jesse, lost her husband Joshua in Afghanistan on January 3rd. Their daughter, Kadence, is just  15 months old. I am on my way to Joshua’s funeral in Roseburg, OR. As a father, how do you help a daughter who has lost the love of her life after less than 2 years of marriage? Their marriage had just gotten to that wonderful stage where both were losing the “single” attitude and melding into a truly wonderful family. I do not blame Joshua for his choices, he was Army when he and Jesse re-found each other. I am so grateful for Josh and all those who truly put it all on the line to defend what we all enjoy each day. He is a hero and we must remember that always.

My daughter is doing much better than I could have hoped. She knows her future is now nothing of what they had planned, but is ready to make the changes necessary to carry on. There will be those times when the burden will almost seem to much, but she knows this and has had the training to continue on at those times. So I guess I have already answered my question; what is a father to do? I have already done it with the upbringing we gave her. Now I can just be that support at times she needs me, and know she is strong and will prevail.

1 comment:

Geri said...

I am so sorry for your loss!! My heart aches for Jesse and Kadence, and I cannot imagine what your family is going through. My husband is heading back to Afghanistan in November, and I am dreading it. My thoughts and prayers are with you!